Client Identification – Individual
At Le Gallais & Luce we are legally required to obtain identification and verification documents when establishing a client relationship. Please kindly note that until we have received all necessary supporting information and documentation from you, we will not be able to progress with your work/transaction or accept funds into our client account.
1. Proof of identity
Please provide an original or certified copy of one of the following acceptable documents:
- driving license; and
- identity card.
Please note the Identification & Verification Form prepared for your assistance for submitting a
certified copy of your photo identification. The form can be also found in the Guidance section on our
2. Proof of residential address
Please provide an original or certified copy of two of the following acceptable documents, and note that all documents and letters are to be dated, but no more than 3 months old apart from a tenancy agreement:
- correspondence from a governmental department (tax office, social security, parish hall);
- bank statement (credit card statement not accepted);
- utility bills (e.g. water, gas, electricity, main telephone line). General invoices (e.g. house contents or car insurance or mobile phone bills) are not acceptable;
- a signed current tenancy contract or agreement;
- original signed letter from your employer (on their headed paper); and
- original signed letter from a residential home manager (on their headed paper).
Please note we cannot accept any home printed documents or documents forwarded from email. Please contact the original provider to obtain a hard copy via post.
3. Suitable certifiers
Please note that certified copies must be signed by one of the following, who must state their full name and capacity in which they are signing (self-certification or certification by a family member or close relation is not acceptable):
- a member of the judiciary, a senior civil servant, or a serving police or customs officer;
- an officer of an embassy, consulate or high commission of the country of issue of documentary evidence of identity;
- an accountant, doctor, practicing lawyer or notary public who is a member of a recognised professional body; and
- a director, officer or manager of a regulated financial services business which is operating in a well-regulated jurisdiction.
4. Suitable wording of the certification
Please note that the person carrying out the certification must state:
- “I hereby certify that I have seen the original of this document and that this is a complete and accurate copy of that document.”
Please note where the certification is to confirm the identity of a person it must also confirm:
- ”I also certify that the photograph contained in this document bears a true likeness to the individual that has requested certification of this document.”
Certifiers need to provide their details, sign and date the certification documents.
Le Gallais & Luce is a Member Firm of The Law Society of Jersey and is registered with the Jersey Office of the Information Commissioner in their capacity as the Data Protection Authority. The Firm obtains client personal information in the course of the Client Due Diligence process and satisfactory completion of our take-on procedures. The personal information held is restricted to that required for Anti-Money Laundering/Counter-Terrorist Financing purposes.